10 Minute Play Contest
October 16, 2019 - January 15, 2020
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
1. Eligibility—Plays must be the original work of persons who reside in the Four Corners Region (defined here as the states of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona). In the case of collaborations, the residency requirement pertains to all authors.
2. Script Requirements —
- Length: The play must run no less than 9 minutes and no more than 11 minutes.
- Cast: No more than 3 actors; more characters are allowed if actors may double. A list of characters with a brief physical description of each should be included with the submission.
- Genre: Comedy, drama, mystery, thriller or monologue, but no musicals or plays for children. There is no theme; it is up to the author to craft a play that they feel is entertaining and compelling.
- Technical Limitation: Play settings should be simple, suitable for small stage or black box theater, requiring minimal furniture or set pieces and limited technical effects.
- Format: PDF or Microsoft Word prepared using standard formatting for a stage play. Please place the title of your script and page numbers as a footer on every page of your script.
- Anonymity: The author’s name shall not appear on any of the script pages, allowing the script to be initially evaluated anonymously.
3. Originality—We seek plays that are new, inventive, fresh, and are not an adaptation of a longer play or another work. Submissions shall not have been previously presented as a full production before an audience of paying persons in any venue in the Four Corners Region. Here is one site, chosen at random, that gives tips on writing a 10-minute play.
4. Submissions are limited to two plays per author and must be submitted electronically with the completed submission form. No submission fees required for 2020.
5. Deadline for completed script submissions is 1/15/2020.
6. Selection—The play selection process begins with evaluation by a team of readers, who will independently score each play according to their assessment of plot, character, dialogue, language, theatricality and their own emotional response. The plays in the top eight rankings will be chosen for production. Upon submission, the author agrees to abide by the decision of the judges. Selection deadline is Feb 15, 2020.
To download entry form and submit play, go here.
Venue: Sunflower Theatre
Located in the historic Basin Industrial Bank building adjacent to the KSJD radio studios in downtown Cortez, Colorado.